Who doesn’t love cold potato salad after a warm BBQ type of afternoon?? This is a spin on the classic potato salad with a kick of spice and a touch of green to add more fiesta-type flavor.
Now I know a potato salad with jalapeños, green onions, and cilantro may sound nuts, but man is it delicious!! My Aunt Glenda made this recipe at a family event and I fell in love at first bite. Her son likes to call it the “un-American potato salad” but I call it fantastic – haha! She found me in the kitchen after dinner had been served… practically licking the bowl… at that point I realized leaving without the recipe would be a legitimate sin. The most disturbing part of the story is that when she handed over a copy of the recipe, I about fainted. She said that it was from Bobby Flay (who is not on my list of favorite chefs). He earned a few bonus points that day for being the genius to put all these ingredients together!!
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 1½ Cup Hellmann's Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 6 chopped green onions
- 1 chopped Jalapeño
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Bring your potatoes to a boil in salted water. Mine took 15 minutes of simmering to become soft enough to easily put a fork into the tender little potato.
- Drain and slice.
- While your potatoes are boiling you can build the sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, green onions, jalapeños, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss in the potatoes and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
- Gently toss in cilantro prior to serving.
Let’s get to cooking!! FYI – this salad lasted me all week for my pre-packed lunches that I bring to work, it paired nicely with my turkey burgers and fruit.
The potatoes have been boiled in salt water and ready for a chopping.
Chop, chop, chop those pretty little green onions.
Cheers from the heart,